Steven's Home Page - ホーム ページ

Greetings...welcome to my homepage. Take a look around and I hope you enjoy it! 皆さん...ようこそ、これは私のホームページですよ! どうぞおはいりください...見てください...

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

2005 Japan Trip - Day 2 (Part 2)

Part 2 - Saturday (Doyoubi 土曜日) Oct. 29th 2005 - Back at the hotel room I fueled up with some complementary green tea and some energy drink (Dakara?...Aquarius?...Diet Coke?) which I bought from the all ubiquitous vending machines. I then grabbed my bike and pannier and set off for the station 駅.

I left Osaka Eki 大阪駅 at about 11:15 on JR's Yamatoji Line. If I caught the right train, I knew it would take about 34 minutes 分 to get to Horyuji 駅 in Nara 奈良. Somehow...I managed to guess correctly and arrived at just around 12 noon - apprehension to rest!

Along the way, with the rain 雨 and cloudy skies for company (the train wasn't that crowded at all), I realized that it was just one of those days where the 雨 might never stop. Passing through some of the grey-toned industrial portions of the city, the shrouded weather added to my feeling of how cold and gritty and mechanical and even lonely...the "not so pretty" side of a big city can be (大阪 being the second largest).

Upon arriving at Horyuji 駅 it was much smaller than I was expecting and I felt instantly comfortable being there. Compared to others, Horyuji 駅 was built with a lot of wood and it had a familar "human" feel to it that made me feel good inside - the same type of feeling you would get if you could visit your grandmother's old wooden house...

As I stepped out of the 駅, and even with no sunshine and the 雨 still falling down, I could not help but SMILE :-), when I saw Shizuka-san, my guide for the day, greeting me dressed in her bright orange cycling rain suit straddling her mountain bike!

Even today...when I think about it...it really brings back smiling memories...

つづく。。。

Btw...If you're wondering, I used this site (for JR lines only): JR timetable to check the train schedule and travel times. You will need to know, however, the name of and how to correctly spell the 駅 you're looking for - which is not always easy!

To see the Part 1 of this day, click here: Part - 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home